<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://makethebestofeverything.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Make the best of everything!: Easy Weeknight Salad Bar

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Easy Weeknight Salad Bar


Last week, while traveling my family and I stopped at two different Whole Foods Stores to get their salad bar!  Whole Foods Salad bar might just be the most beautiful salad bar around.  This left me in a salad bar kind of mood!

Tonight for dinner, I made a salad bar with items I already had around.  It was so easy to make and this salad bar took barely any time!  This was also a great way to use leftover chicken!

This is a fun way to introduce healthy eating to kids.  They will have so much fun putting their own salads together!


Here are just a few items that I had around that also made delicious salad toppings!

To prepare these ingredients:
1) Opened a can of garbanzo beans and drained them
2) Shredded cabbage I had in my fridge
3) Cut Sweet peppers
4) Peeled 2 carrots and cut them
5) Cut Leftover chicken
6) opened a snack sized bag of peanuts
7) defrosted frozen peas for 2 minutes
8) Cut an apple
9) opened a bad of shredded cheese

see? Easy!



If you want to make your own salad bar, don't go to the store!  I bet you have plenty of items that you can use to make your own salad bar.

Other Salad bar topping ideas:
Frozen corn
Frozen peas
Raisins
Almonds
Kidney Beans
Black Beans
Fruit you have around
Deli Meats
Tuna
Cheese
Leftover pot roast
pudding snack cups ( for a salad bar dessert)


In addition to salad dressing, I added salsa.  Salsa is a great low calorie way to liven up any salad!


This was a lovely dinner on warm summer evening.  Both my husband and I were able to make a salad according to our own specifications.  My 10 month old son was able to snack on some of the salad bar items as well:)

We will definitely be making this again!




13 Comments:

At August 31, 2012 at 5:50 AM , Blogger Tim, Allyson, and kids said...

Our family loves eating salads! I'm sure our kids would love a salad bar with choices.

We'd love for you to link up at our Finished Friday blog party.

 
At August 31, 2012 at 7:12 AM , Blogger Jen said...

Yum! I love a good salad, as do my children. Looks like a great idea for a night when dad is working out of town! Thanks for sharing!

Jen @ http://oursoutherntable-jen.blogspot.com/

 
At August 31, 2012 at 7:49 AM , Blogger Pammy said...

What a GREAT idea! Thanks for sharing, now following via foodie fridays!

 
At August 31, 2012 at 8:13 AM , Blogger Dawn said...

Love the idea of making a salad bar. I normally do it the hard way, make everyones salads per plate. This is one of those 'hit your forehead' V8 moments. Why didn't I think of this! :-)
Dawn from @Spatulas On Parade
Thanks for linking to our Foodie Friends friday party

 
At August 31, 2012 at 10:00 AM , Blogger Miz Helen said...

Hi Kristen,
I just love your Salad Bar idea, lots of wonderful "goodies" for the salad. Hope you have a great holiday weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

 
At August 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a fabulous idea...Thanks - I bet my kids will love this too!!

 
At August 31, 2012 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love to eat at a Salad Bar at a restaurant, but never thought of making one myself! This is so easy. I love the way you displayed it also.

Thanks so much for linkin gup to Foodie Friends Friday.

Cynthia at http://feedingbig.blogspot.com/

 
At August 31, 2012 at 7:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This looks GREAT!!! Thanks for the great idea...I'm definitely going to do this soon! I'm your newest follower! XO, Aimee

 
At September 3, 2012 at 4:44 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

YUM! Great salad bar and display Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and hope to see you there this week with your great recipes... Newest follower
http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

 
At September 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The idea of a salad bar is a great one. I should do this. It is a lot more fun than just putting out the finished salad. I love the tip on adding salsa. This is being featured this week at the Recipe Box. Come and visit.

 
At September 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love a good salad!

 
At October 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM , Blogger Annabellouise said...

Makes my mouth water. When my children were little, I used to do 'bits and pieces' and sing the song as well. As my son says, 'it's all in the marketing'.

 
At October 1, 2012 at 8:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the kiddo's was lovin that!

 

Post a Comment

Love to hear your comments!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home